Leaf peepers will find the region a stunning specimen with acres of unspoiled land showcasing the season’s signature hues. Simply getting in the car and driving down back roads can will deliver an eye-full, but we’d also suggest these destinations for the top color displays.
- Longwood Gardens is known for its manicured gardens, but the vast majority of this stunning park is actually more natural fields, meadows, and woods. Pick a trail and meander – we think the view from the Love Temple by the lake in Pierce’s Woods is worth the walk.
- Fan of reflection photos? Head to Marsh Creek State Park, where you can walk to the water and enjoy a picturesque view of the trees beyond. For even better views of the lake and landscape, rent a boat – rentals are available weekends through October, weather permitting.
- To just get back to nature for a bit, hit the 40+ miles of trails available at French Creek State Park. Views of the creek, lake, and valley below are sure to please.
- Valley Forge National Historic Park in autumn is hauntingly beautiful, literally. With 3600 acres of meadows, woodlands and rolling hills, you will be transported into a living Autumn painting. However, more than 2000 men died at Valley Forge during the hard winter of 1777-78 when George Washington’s Continental Army camped at Valley Forge. While Valley Forge is truly beautiful in the Fall, it’s also haunting—in a fun way.
If you can tear yourself away from the scenery, enjoy the harvest with these special regional celebrations:
- The Great Pumpkin Carve at Chadds Ford Historical Society’s meadow is an amazing fall tradition. Come see over 70 artists carve huge pumpkins which in turn light up the nights of the festival. Live music, hayrides and a haunted trail round out this season favorite event. Save the date: October 18 – 20, 2018
- Get lost in the Hurricane Hill Corn Maze, a five-acre adventure. This year the world champion Philadelphia Eagles are celebrated in the maze! Open Saturday & Sunday from September 22, 2018 – November 4, 2018
- Enjoy the foliage during Hayrides at Hagley, where a charming ride along the Brandywine showcases the colors in the Powder Yard. Fall-themed crafts and live demonstrations of the museum’s roll mill and other 19th-century machines are included. Hayrides run October 14, 20, 21, 27, and 28
- Savor the wine harvest season at Chaddsford Winery’s fall events. Live music, a Food Truck Competition and seasonal food and wine pairings are just some of the autumn line up. See full event schedule HERE
Fall isn’t complete without a scare factor. Here are a few spooky ghost tours & creepy attractions to keep you on edge.
- On October 20 from 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm the Malvern Paranormal Society leads a Paranormal Investigation of Paoli Battlefield. This is a private tour and the Paoli Battlefield Historical Park closes for all other visitors.
- Come investigate the paranormal at Thornbury Farm CSA, one of the oldest farms in Chester County. Believers and skeptics alike are invited to walk the fields of the Battle of Brandywine and learn different investigation techniques. Event takes place Friday, October 5 & 19 and Friday, November 2.
- Enjoy Sugartown in a whole new light on their spooky Sundown Lantern Tours! Join guides and hear about Sugartown’s rich history with lesser-known and possibly chilling tales about the village. Did anything creepy or sinister ever happen at Sugartown? Find out for yourself!
- PennHurst Asylum Haunt is considered to be Pennsylvania’s Scariest destination haunted house! The legendary haunted hospital complex has opened its doors after being abandoned for 25 years. But if you are looking for real paranormal activity then check out Pennhurst’s overnight Paranormal Investigations. Search for spirit activity on the grounds of the infamous Pennhurst. Investigators will have access to all four floors of the notoriously haunted Mayflower Hall. Also included is the underground tunnels of Philadelphia, Devon, and Rockwell.
Book your stay at one of the many welcoming accommodations in Chester County’s Brandywine Valley, a warm autumn adventure awaits!